Monday 24 January 2011

of all the gin joints...


Wow, it's been a while! I blame the drink-fuelled, work-filled blur that has been the beginning of term. I'll never leave it this long again. Probably.

It's been an odd week. On Wednesday, I was a bit despondent and a lot frustrated, so I hopped on a train and went home to the land of the old. It's probably the best thing I could have done, what with one thing and another. I ended up having a good catch-up with my mother in the local over scampi and chips, before a tear-filled hour mooching over boxes of old family photographs, some of which I felt the need to bring back to Coventry. I honestly love photos. They stay the same when everything else falls apart and the people depicted change so utterly.

I feel like having had a couple of sunny days has made everything seem a little less bleak. Even Coventry city centre looks okay in the sun! It also means it's colder so several grandad cardigans are necessary, which can only be a good thing...

On Thursday, my lovely friend Eilish came to visit, and we got the chance to see the wonderful Charlotte Ireland in The Marriage of Figaro in the Arts Centre. Opera isn't really my thing, but I can appreciate that some of these people had voices like angels', and all in all, it was a good night out. I did feel a bit like a proud parent, though. When did I get old?

Because it seems to be a time for reminiscing, I thought I'd put this video on here. I'm not sure whether you'll remember, but it was the song played at the beginning of the televised version of Beatrix Potter's stories (which I of course had on video). It's just as beautiful as it ever was, and I can still picture 'Beatrix' running for shelter from the rain, before striking up a conversation with the rabbit sat on her kitchen table. If you didn't watch it, you will now think I'm crazy, but that's a risk I'm willing to take...



Oh I found it!



In this next week, I get to see more old friends, see Matilda again (eee!), and see Casablanca on the big screen in the student cinema. Sometimes I'm quite glad I'm me!

Sometimes it sucks...

2 comments:

  1. I just have to tell you that I love your blog, I've been reading it a while now and I think it's really funny.

    /Bea

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, that's really kind! x

    ReplyDelete