Sunday 5 February 2012

who's that girl?


It is a well known fact that every hipster girl would like to be a little bit more like Zooey Deschanel and every hipster guy would like to make her breakfast. Probably. She's just cool, isn't she? She managed to make the film 'Elf' cool, even though she was blonde and very un-Summer, and she can pull off those glasses better than anyone...

Because I spend most of my time at my computer (comforted by the fact that I am still technically in Rome and could do loads of super-cool things if I wanted to), I have of course watched all of 'New Girl' about three times. I quite like it. It's funny though how it manages to irritate, bore and enchant me all at once. 'Jess' is a little bit ditsy and a little bit too kitsch, but while I'm not sure she's all that credible as a High School teacher, she's difficult to hate. Put aside for one moment the fact that nothing really happens, and consider instead just how stylish she is. Just look at her, look! Besides, perhaps t.v. doesn't have enough superficial, plotless programmes and is in need of a few more. Oh, wait... Also, when I came to my bi-monthly viewing of '500 Days of Summer', I was shocked at how much of a cow she was in comparison. I hope my enjoyment hasn't permanently been dented.

It's very snowy here and I have heard enough sirens in the last three days to last me a lifetime. It's odd, there's nobody around at all. Everyone is hibernating. The shops are closed, the shelves long-cleared of anything fresh or worth eating. Yesterday, we went to the Colosseum which was buzzing with Italians, with only a smattering of tourists. It was lovely to see people making the effort to go and see their city at its prettiest. It was a bad time however, to realise that I don't have any sensible shoes. Not a single pair. And by 'sensible', I mean not from New Look.

I hope Italy is a bit more mobile tomorrow (though there is another transport strike, so my hopes are not high) and most importantly that there is a supermarket within 5km which has managed to restock so I don't get stuck eating old bread and get scurvy. Again, I'm not hopeful.

 I can't wait for Spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment