Wednesday 3 February 2010

I thought I should post something, though as I write, I still have no idea how this will turn out. I had a Radiohead reawakening earlier. This happens fairly frequently. The band possesses powers of which I can only dream. We were in English and as usual I was putting all my energy into pretending to work when my teacher put The Bends on. This does happen to be my favourite studio album of all time, but I still stopped, put my pen down and just listened. For half an hour. If you don't have this album, buy it. If you do, stick it on. Thom Yorke instantly stirs something within me. If I am happy, I feel happier. If I am sad, he seems melancholy and understanding. If I am having an ugly day, I will never look quite as strange as him. I know the album word for word and yet would never sing along. Anyone who knows me knows that I am constantly singing so this is a pretty big deal.

The rest of the day was spent drawing a life-sized, provocatively posed Heathcliff to display in our other English classroom. He turned out casually coiffed and a little bit emo-chic. This had been my plan all along, though he does not exactly look threatening, laid out nonchalantly underneath the window in the far side of the room. I think it is impressive that I always somehow manage to avoid doing work of any value and end up debating whether Heathcliff has quite enough stubble.

Double French, normally the low point of the week was bizarrely very enjoyable. We debated equality of men and women in the western business world, and of course I enjoy any opportunity for a mini feminist rant. I am, as I type, feeling very positive about my French based future. Emo-Heathcliff will just have to take a backseat. This does not mean that I am A) working hard enough or B) anything other than indifferent towards university choices and where I will end up for four years. Five if I decide to do a post-grad diploma in journalism. I'm trying to get work experience at the BBC which would be completely awesome. I will not give up easily.

No comments:

Post a Comment