Saturday 5 February 2011

dearest.

Let's stop sending each other messages on Facebook. Write a letter. Stamps don't cost much, and handwritten post is always nice to receive. It's nice to find a letter waiting when you get home, recognising the familiar scrawl on the envelope and reading the meandering thoughts of a friend set down on paper. I've already cajoled one unsuspecting person into corresponding with me in this way, but send me something! Send something, and I will always reply (which cannot be said for any other form of communication). A letter, unlike an email, can never be deleted.

I am saddened by the anti-Islamic protest march happening today. The English Defence League demonstrated today under the thinly veiled premise of targeting fundamentalism, but no good can possibly come of these tensions, which are surely more likely to encourage extremism than combat it. I'm struggling to write this paragraph from an objective viewpoint, without just ranting and being cross. I'm not sure it's even possible. I just can't fathom this country sometimes, and I hope that this shameful hatred ceases rather than gaining momentum. The world is a scary place.

My wonderful friend Eilish is soon to be married. I feel like if every betrothed couple was like Eilish and Bob, I would have no reservations whatsoever about the institution of marriage, and I know they will be very happy. She is the macaroni to his cheese.

I have an exam on Monday, and I have to learn seven hundred and twenty three prepositions... probably. The sad fact of the matter though, is that I simply cannot be arsed. Somebody motivate me. That would be lovely.


1 comment:

  1. aye, I write letters to my friend in Leeds. It's my way of keeping him "in the loop" with things.

    ReplyDelete