Monday 14 February 2011

you can stand under my umbrella ♥


Right, so it's Valentine's day. I bet you're all thinking that I'm about to go off on some bitter tirade about this stomach-churning, pernicious money maker, but that would be a little bit too obvious, wouldn't it? Besides, this year I'm not feeling all that resentful. I don't actually mind this day that much, though I'm sure this comes as a surprise. I do not think, however, that February 14th should be a day for smug couples, but a day for declaring our secret love (in an anonymous, harmless kind of way) through the medium of shitty cards like we did in first school.

So in celebration rather than derision of this weird concept, I give you my top ten love songs of all time.


  1. The Kinks - Lola - A song about falling for someone who is wrong for you (in this case a transvestite with a preference for young boys who have "never kissed a woman before". Genius.).
  2. Jeff Buckley - Lover, you should have come over - A song about painful youth and the uncertainty and intensity of adolescent love. Probably. It's well good, anyway...
  3. Adele - Someone like you - Because I love it more than most things in the world. It's about habouring feelings for a man who no longer feels the same (we've all been there). Don't listen to the album version, because it is a pile of poo. Opt instead for the Jools Holland live version and you will be weeping into your overpriced roses in no time. 
  4. Bon Iver - Skinny Love - Harrowing and heart-wrenching (just like every good love song should be).
  5. Aqualung - Strange and beautiful - Creepy. In a sweet way...
  6. Maccabees - Love you better - "I will love you better". A desperate plea from a spurned lover - excellent stuff.
  7. Bloc Party - Flux - "We were hoping for some romance, all we found was more despair". It's probably the most upbeat song in my CD collection because of its 'fuck it' sort of attitude. It never fails to make me smile. And dance. But mostly smile.
  8. Rhianna - Umbrella - Who needs intricate, poetic lyrics when it can all be summarised in the selfless act of letting someone stand under your umbrella (ella, ella, eh, eh...)
  9. Coldplay - Shiver - Before he met Gwyneth and got all smug. I bet they are having a sickening Valentine's day.
  10. Joy Division - Love will tear us apart - mmhmm.   

So happy Valentine's day, everybody! I will be spending my evening having a roast dinner with my mother and my sister, both of whom will be seething because they cannot be with their boyfriends tonight. Teehee... 

No comments:

Post a Comment