Saturday 12 March 2011

pour a little salt we were never here...

Hullo there.

Following the triumph of last year's lent for which I gave up eating meat (and carried on for a long, long time until some floor ham made me see sense about a month ago), I decided that like last year I would give up something that would really challenge me. It's more fun that way. So I thought long and hard (but not really, it's just a turn of phrase) and I thought it would be a good idea to steer clear of alcohol for forty days and forty long nights. More than anything, I think it's a good sociological experiment. Is it possible to be a first year student, to go out and actually enjoy it without drinking a drop? It's also perfect timing because I was drinking a bit too much and it was affecting my sleep patterns, results and general wellbeing.

So tonight I headed out to the potentially wonderful Top Banana, fuelled only by orange squash and a vague sense of determination. It was actually alright. Of course, there was the first weird hour when everybody was somewhat inebriated, bad songs were playing and I was dancing self consciously. But then I got into it a bit more. I suppose if everyone else is wasted, they don't really care what you look like, do they?

In all, I will save money, calories and dignity and still have an okay time. Hopefully. It's pretty tricky though.

I miss gin.

Music time!

Firstly, I am a massive fan of this lovely song by Fossil Collective. It's a bit Band of Horses-esque, and just generally quite pretty.



Next up, a Bon Iver cover. I'm not sure who by. I like it though. I think.



And finally, Blind Pilot. We saw them supporting the Decemberists the other night, which was definitely an added bonus. I fell a little bit in love with them and their lovely beards. Sigh...

No comments:

Post a Comment