Thursday 24 March 2011

spring forward, fall back.

Hello chumlies. Shit is going down in the world today, particularly in Libya, Portugal and Israel - even in Britain where the budget has been unveiled. Unfortunately - despite my best efforts - I'm not very clued up on any of these things, and there are people in the world who are, so I suggest you read their blogs instead. If however, you want to read about Elizabeth Taylor, Bangable Dudes In History, Cheltenham Spa and deadpan political satire, you are in the right place!

So yes, Elizabeth Taylor died and I am sad. That is the gist. She was married a grand total of eight times, which I think is quite incredible. One of those marriages was to Richard Burton, need I say more?

Continuing on the theme of lusting after the deceased (this could refer to either Taylor or Burton, let's face it), I would like to introduce you to this site which offers an array of interesting political, intellectual and important figures from times gone by, accompanied with a little commentary (laced with bad puns) explaining just why this particular person should be deemed 'bangable'. You couldn't make it up. My particular favourite is Lewis-president-killer-Powell, whose piercing blue eyes and nonchalant air apparently absolve him of his crime.

I've now entered the horrid vortex of boredom that is the Easter holidays. I have plenty to be getting on with, such as learning two languages and reading lots of books, but all that can be put off for quite some time. Today I went to Cheltenham Spa, which has put me in an excellent mood. I spent lots of money and enjoyed the sunshine and hung out with middle-class, middle-aged women. In all, a splendid day. I then spent the whole evening watching 'The Thick of It', which I'm now a bit obsessed with. I am told by Labour Party insiders that it is really quite accurate.

The trouble with The Unthanks is that when you get one of their songs in your head, you sing it in a ridiculous accent. This is a gift I would like to pass on.



p.s. my new favourite author is Milan Kundera. Check him out, he writes beautifully. As does his translator...

No comments:

Post a Comment