Monday 11 April 2011

maybe.

It may shock and surprise you to learn that Wolverley is not the most left-wing of places. There is a man I encountered during my brief stint in the Old Village Store (a wealthy landowner) who comes in on a daily basis to pick up his copy of the Telegraph, never failing to comment wryly on the way in which Gordon Brown ruined the country, or how Cameron is a "solid fellow". Now, I'm not saying all inhabitants of this weird little village are as extreme as the aforementioned gentleman, but I live in one of the most conservative sections of a generally conservative area, and it's a little bit depressing.

I was shocked nonetheless when I found out that there is not even a Labour candidate standing in the upcoming election. That is how Tory Wolverley is. I am only nineteen years old, so the ability to vote is still a massive novelty, but now it's a toss-up between abstaining and voting Green(!). I would abstain, but I distinctly remember a Citizenship lesson with Mrs Nightingale in year 6, in which we were told that voting was a large part of becoming a 'Good Citizen'. I always take these things to heart, so I think I probably will vote, even if it is for a non-party with only one objective.

Besides, I'm going to have to vote in the AV election anyway, in spite of my indifference. I'm going to vote Yes, because in general, it's a more positive word than 'no', and because lovely Ed told me to. Indeed, I'm all about change. Even if it's only a little, slightly wimpy change like this one. If you happen to live in Wolverley, you should vote for Robin in the parish election. He lives next door, and is a thoroughly nice fellow. The time he shouted at us because the dog was barking at an inappropriate hour was, I'm sure, an isolated incident.

No comments:

Post a Comment