Monday 1 March 2010

bella notte

Okay, so I didn't keep my promise. I know it's been a few days, but it's better late than never. I've had a lovely few days! Monday is my day off so I've taken the dog for a nice long walk, and now I'm sitting in front of the fire watching Lady and the Tramp. I love watching films I haven't seen for years. There are always jokes and puns hiding beneath the shiny surface- things that just fly over your head when you are little. So yeah, this film is ace! Good old Disney...

Most of Friday was spent on a coach going to and from Haworth in Yorkshire where the Brontë family lived and wrote. In the short amount of time we spent there, however, I fell completely in love with everything Brontë; the village, the alcoholism and the writing. Emily in particular fascinates me. As far as I can make out, she was pretty much autistic. She didn't take to teaching, didn't like travelling or the Church. She taught herself to speak German and Latin, and they think she was pretty radical compared to Charlotte. The revelation that Wuthering Heights had been written by a woman resulted in general disbelief. It is such a harsh, brutal novel, yet a day on the moors showed us all that in the desolate, unforgiving village of Haworth, there was really very little to do but let your imagination run wild.


I'm reading a beautifully written book; If Nobody Speaks of Remarkable Things by Jon McGregor, lent to me by Fiona the vicar quite some time ago. I figured it was probably time to give it back, but I thought I'd give it a go first. It's a masterclass in descriptive language. Nothing much happens, yet McGregor writes it in such a way that you never get bored. The narrative focuses on several characters which can be confusing but it isn't. The basic idea is that the little things we do everyday, though often unnoticed are 'remarkable' if someone thinks they are. Throw in a bit of unrequited love and some unwanted pregnancy, and you get a novel that I enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment