Friday 12 March 2010

So I'm pretty sure I love fictional men...

I joined this group on Facebook a while back. No truer words have ever been spoken. So here is my definitive list:

1) Remus Lupin - scruffy, intelligent, messed up, modest, but with a definite sting in the tail. Is he the perfect man? I think he might be...

2) Mr Darcy - I know it's a massive cliché. I know that I am earning no points for imagination here. Yet I know that Mr Darcy's charms are vast and I am yet to meet a girl, no matter how principled, who has not finished that book completely in love. I think it's the moody thing. When a moody man is nice, it makes it all worthwhile...

3) Seth Cohen - Okay, hardly literary, I know. The OC isn't one of my favourite programs, but Seth, played by Adam Brody is just loveliness personified. He has a thing for superheroes. And glasses. And he's Jewish. That's it really...

4) Spiderman - A nerd who can kick ass. Need I say more?

5) Mr Bingley - in the film he is ginger...

6) Josh from Clueless - Okay, in this one I am combining Mr Knightley with his modern day equivalent. Mr Knightley has that lovely, older man quality. He loves Emma despite her meddling naivity and he's suitably sarcastic and cynical. Plus Paul Rudd is HOT. He really has that sarcastic eyebrow raise down to a tee...

7) Ron Weasley - Plus all of his brothers. I know that Sarah Dixon is with me on this one. Why would anyone ever go out with boring, weird Harry when they could have his ginger, bumbling best friend? I'll let Ginny off though. I will not be seen to condone incest...

8) The Doctor. (played by Mr Tennant of course.) - So I didn't watch Dr Who when it came back with a bang. All my friends were completely obsessed, even when Christopher Eccleston played the lead. After a couple of years, I watched all of series two on Youtube. It was astonishing. David Tennant has an awesome nervous energy which makes him perfect for the role. Seeing him in Hamlet didn't harm his appeal either. It might be the Scottish thing. Accents are always a bonus (Ewan McGregor, James McAvoy, anyone Irish...). Though he was a bit weird in the Goblet of Fire...

9) Father Amadi - from Purple Hibiscus. I love this book, and if a Nigerian Catholic priest doesn't do it for you, I'm not sure what will...

10) Sirius Black - "If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals."... Phwoar.

11) Dave the Laugh - Right, I'm sure most book-type people would recoil in horror at the mention of the Georgia Nicholson books, but I am fairly sure that anyone who mocks them hasn't read them. They are funny, light-hearted and full of awesome comic timing. Dave the laugh is one of the greatest characters ever written. And as everyone knows, "the bigger the PANTS, the harder they fall..."

12) Holden Caufield - The best narrator ever. He's clever and iconic and just a big dose of awesome. I read once that the people who like Catcher in the Rye are more likely to go crazy in later life. I embrace Holden Crazy with open arms... I think I say 'embrace' too much...

13) Jake from One Tree Hill - Maybe it's the single dad thing. Maybe it's the fact that he's a little bit ginger. Whatever it is, he is infinitely better than Lucas and Nathan. What are those girls thinking?

14) Romeo played by Leo - I think the actual character is a bit dull, but Romeo is the original hearthrob, and I feel unable to leave him out. In the film he is pretty and the fishtank scene is epic...

15) Jess Mariano from Gilmore Girls - No OF COURSE I don't watch Gilmore Girls (!)

2 comments:

  1. I think Dave Lizewski from kick-ass needs to be added onto no. 4 also, as he too is a geek that... well tries to kick-ass, with a lot of help from a little girl owning a lot of guns :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, and why is mr. knightly not on here??? I am disappointed with you... :(

    ReplyDelete